Friday, May 22, 2009

The killers - Human Dancer/Denser


Here is a complete breakdown of the song.

One of the first times I found the theme so blatantly stated. Literally the theme is "are we human? Or are we Puppets?"
(my own interpretation and may contain errors)
(note that the dancer is a puppet on strings being forced to dance with everyone else, like everyone else)

I did my best to notice,
When the call came down the line.
(called meaning the strings are pulling the puppet, metaphor for society pulling him to one direction)
Up to the platform of surrender,
(refering to a stage where the "dancers" surrender their individuality)
I was brought, but I was kind.
(Feels he shouldnt because he wants to express individuality hence the note that he was "kind" an emotion)
But sometimes I get nervous,
When I see an open door.
(nervous and considering standing for his individuality, going against the expectations society demands)
Close your eyes,
Clear your heart.

Cut the coard.
(refering to a puppets strings that he wants cut so he may find out if he is "human")
[Chorus]
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?
(explained in the video)
My sign is vital,
My hands are cold.
(Imagery referencing a puppet)
And I'm on my knees,
(the cords were cut and hes a limp puppet on his knees)
Looking for the answer.
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?

Pay my respects to grace and virtue,
Send my condolences to good.
Give my regards to soul and romance,
They always did the best they could.
And so long to devotion,
You taught my everything I know.
Wave goodbye, Wish me well.
(this whole verse is simulating what the "dancers" of this generation do. Give up their personal emotion and individuality to become the dancing puppets)

You've gotta let me go.
(letting go over their sense of self)

[Chorus]
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?
My sign is vital,
My hands are cold.
And I'm on my knees,
Looking for the answer.
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?

Will your system be alright?
When you dream of home tonight.
(will you be able to live with yourself knowing you gave yourself up? Remembering what you had "home" is a strong personal image for dramatic effect)
There is no message we're receiving,
(People have no "message" nothing driving any personal ambition, just follow the crowd to fit in.)
Let me know is your heart still beating?
(Another comparison saying are you still alive ie human)

Are we human?
Or are we dancer?
My sign is vital,
My hands are cold.
And I'm on my knees,
Looking for the answer.

You gotta let me know.

[Chorus]
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?
My sign is vital,
My hands are cold.
And I'm on my knees,
Looking for the answer.
Are we human?
Or are we dancer?

Are we human?
Or are we dancer?

Are we human?
Or are we dancer?

No comments: